Family seeks funding for health, says Mohammed Fawehinmi died of COVID-19

Olamide Francis

The family of Mohammed Fawehinmi has announced that he died of COVID-19 complications.

The deceased’s sibling, Saheed, who spoke on behalf of the family at a press conference in Lagos on Thursday, made the clarification.

This clarification comes after the family of the first son of the late human rights activist and lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, had said his remains would be interred after an autopsy and other necessary arrangements had been made.

“Today, we are in a position to inform you that our dear brother died of COVID-19 related complications,” the family stated and seized the opportunity to urge Nigerians and the government to take necessary steps in tackling the deadly virus by investing more in the health sector.

“We urge the government to step up its public enlightenment on the deadly character of the disease so that many more Nigerians can take necessary precautions. We call on the federal and state governments to invest more in healthcare,” Saheed said.

The family said the burial arrangements for Mohammed had been finalised.

“With respect to the burial details, the service of songs and night of tributes for our late brother will be held on Wednesday, August 25, 2021, at the Archbishop Vining Memorial Cathedral in Ikeja from 4 pm to 7 pm. In the morning of Friday, August 27, 2021, the remains of our brother will be interred at the Gani Fawehinmi family compound in Ondo town after a brief funeral service,” the family added.

Mohammed died on Thursday, August 11, 2021, at the age of 52.

Copyright PUNCH

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

 

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts